Friday, July 27, 2007

Bill Blass Gets Som

It's official.

Peter Som has been named creative director for women's wear at Bill Blass, filling Michael Vollbracht's shoes. "To me, Bill Blass really represents one of the great American design houses," said Som. "He had such a clear idea of his vision of streamlined luxury and ready-to-wear. His designs to me represent a woman who is strong, confident yet not afraid to show that she still has a feminine side...I think there is no doubt that I will be twice as busy in the upcoming year, but I welcome the challenge as it will only help me to continue to refine and perfect my craft," he said. "I will probably be drinking a lot more coffee in 2008."

A former Blass-protege, Som worked for the brand in the 90s assisting Mr. Blass and even accepting a CFDA award on his behalf when the designer was unable to attend. "Peter worked here as a young man, and I worked with him and knew him very well," said Michael Groveman, ceo of Bill Blass Ltd. "We spoke to a number of people, and he was the strongest candidate. We think he brings a lot to the table."

Som's first collection is expected to be pre-fall 2008.

[WWD]