Sunday, September 09, 2007

An Emotional Ralph Wows at 40

When one of your contemporaries - in this case Donna Karan - jokes, "I'll tell you what I'm not going to do: After that, I'm not going to have a show," you know you have a hit on your hands. And Ralph Lauren's celebratory tour de force was certainly that. Staged at the Central Park Conservatory, the show was a tribute to Lauren's 40th anniversary in business (is anyone not having an anniversary this year?).

"I drew upon everything I ever loved, and that was it," said Lauren of the collection which featured his signature black and white gowns, floral frocks, equestrian prints and tailored suits. After 72 looks, Lauren stepped out to Frank Sinatra's "The Best Is Yet to Come," and a standing ovation (by Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Bloomberg, Diane Sawyer, Vera Wang, Carolina Herrera, Anna Wintour and Bruce Weber to name a few) before continuing to a black-tie after-party at the Conservatory.